Here are a few tips to help you stay healthy with the poor air quality we are facing in Portland, OR.
- Avoid exercising outdoors.
- Wear a mask to avoid breathing in large ash particles. A mask is not enough to keep you completely safe, but it can be helpful if you must be outside.
- Increase detoxifying vegetables. Cruciferous vegetables are great at increasing glutathione production leading to improved detoxification. Cruciferous vegetables: Kale, Spinach, Collard greens, Broccoli, Arugula, Bok choy, Brussels sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower.
- Drastically increase water intake. You want at least 80 ounces per day, and ideally you should be drinking enough to have clear urine.
- If you have air conditioning, use it. AC units can filter out some of the ash in your home.
- If you have an inhaler, carry it with you. If you have a history of asthma or any other chronic lung conditions and your inhaler is expired/old, please see your health care practioner for a new prescription.
- End your showers with ice cold water to increase blood flow and lymphatic drainage. Make sure you have taken a long enough shower for your whole body to be warm, then turn the nozzle to the coldest setting and jump in! Try and last for 30 seconds, directing the water at your chest, armpits and head. Turn off the shower after this, do not warm up with hot water. You will stay warm, I promise!
Make an appointment with your health care practitioner if you have any of the symptoms or conditions below. You may need additional support to keep you safe.
- shortness of breath
- difficulty catching your breath
- poorly managed chronic lung conditions- asthma, COPD, bronchitis, etc.
Think you need more of a boost?
Certain supplements can help boost glutathione production and help prevent smoke exposure from causing harm.
***Find all these supplements under "DETOX" by clicking this link.***
- NAC helps boost glutathione production and breaks up thick and sticky mucous.
- Dosage: NAC by Vital Nutrients- 1-2 caps twice per day.
- B complex (B6, B9, B12, biotin)
- B vitamins, especially the methylated versions, provide methyl groups to really push liver detoxification.
- Dosage: Basic B Complex by Thorne- 1 capsule 2-3 times per day.
- Selenium is a potent antioxidant and is used to make glutathione.
- Dosage: 2-3 brazil nuts per day! Or, Selenomethionine by Thorne- 1 cap per day
- Vitamin C + E
- Together, these 2 vitamins help you recycle and reuse your glutathione over and over again.
- Get it from diet- oranges, red peppers, kale, almonds, spinach and sunflower seeds