Can you really lose weight by walking? Here's my personal testimony!
I started to walk to the BCNH Clinic each day about a month ago. The walk is 1.7 miles each way, so just about 3.5 miles round trip. I scheduled about 40 minutes to make the walk, which allowed me to walk at a comfortable pace (even though I started walking faster and faster each day!). Although I don't weight myself, I found after 1 month that I had leaner legs, I was less bloated, and felt more calm and relaxed!
I did some research on walking. Of course, every website had a different explanation of how many steps you take per mile, and how many calories you burn per mile, and so on. But here is the overall consensus:
- You burn approximently 100 calories per each mile you walk
- This is a rough estimate. For exact calories burned, you would need to take in account the type of walk (hills, flat), how fast you were walking, and your current weight.
- My opinion- It doesn't really matter what the exact number is unless you are doing a VERY specific calorie counting weight loss program. If you lose more than 100 calories per mile.. AWESOME! If not, you are still walking and burning those calories!
- You step about 2,000 steps per mile.
- Once again, this is an estimate!
- To loose one pound a week, you need to walk 10,000 steps per day, 7 days a week.
- This equals to 5 miles per day.
- DON'T FORGET!- Each step counts, from when you wake up in the morning and walk to the bathroom, to stepping around in the kitchen making breakfast, to walking to to your car.
How can you increase the number of steps you take in a day?
- Park in the back of the parking lot! It's easier to find a space AND you are getting your steps in!
- Take the stairs. Avoid elevators, escalators, moving walkways, etc.
- Go for a 15min walk after your lunch. Not only does this help stimulate your metabolism, help you digest your food, and spike your energy.. it get's your steps in!
- Use the farthest away bathroom. Whether it is in your own home, at work, or in public, take the extra steps (unless it's an emergency- then just go to the nearest one!) :)
- If you have a portable electronic like an iPad, smart phone, or other tablet device? Bring it with you on the treadmill. Watch your favorite shows and Netflix while you are walking away the calories!