Green smoothies are great! Especially for those of us who tend to be short on the 7-9 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. Here are some tips I have learned over the past few years.
The 3 fundamentals
- Fruit makes the smoothie sweet and taste good. What are your favorite fruits?! Add frozen fruits to make your smoothie to make it cold for a warm day!
- Master tip: Buy seasonal fruit in bulk during it's prime season! Chop it up, put it on a cookie sheet and freeze, then bag it up! You will have fruit to last the whole year!
- Leafy greens
- Grab some of those superfood leafy greens and add a cup to your daily smoothie.
- Master tip: You can put ANY vegetable in a smoothie. The best ones are the sweet ones (carrots, beats, peas, etc.) because they will make your smoothie yummy!
- Liquid base
- It's all about the base! Want a creamy smoothie- use yogurt or almond milk! Want a sweet smoothie- add coconut water! Want to make it extra cold- add ice and water!
- Mater tip: If you are looking to add some more nutrients to your smoothie (if you don't already have enough!), you can make a medicinal tea, or any yummy tea, chill it and add it to your smoothie.
Want even MORE in your smoothie?!
- You can add chia seeds to help thicken, flax seeds to help digestion, hemp seeds for extra protein, and any other medical herb! Talk to your Naturopath to see what herbs you can benefit from taking!
- Apple, beet, carrot, ginger, spinach
- Kale, mixed berries, banana, chia seed
- Peanut butter, spinach, banana, left over coffee
- Grapefruit, apple, banana, cherries and berries, almonds, protein powder, spinach
Want more information? Check out Simple Green Smoothies!